I love okra, but sadly I am alone in my love of this vegetable. I included okra in this Pinto Beans and Rice dish to feed my craving. Not only is this simple to make, it comes with a bit of heat, which I also love. And while I know I don’t post much, choosing to mainly work behind the scenes of MyWholeFoodLife, I do plan on posting more of my creations in the future. Melissa and I are a great team, and we want to show everyone just how much we collaborate. Some of my other recipes are Eggplant Pasta, Mexican Quinoa and Squash Apple Soup. Enough about me, onto to the dish.
This recipe is great for lunch. If you don’t like heat, green bell peppers would sub well. On the flip side, use jalapeños if you are looking for something a bit more spicy. This is a pretty versatile dish that I hope you love as much as I did.
Pinto Beans and Rice
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour 15 mins
Serves: 4 – 5 servings
- 2 cups chopped Anaheim peppers OR 2 jalapenos if you prefer
- 4 cups chopped okra, stems removed
- 1 can or 1½ cups cooked pinto beans
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 T almond oil OR oil of choice
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- Sea salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Toss the onions, peppers, and okra in oil and place on a lined baking sheet. Cover the veggies and bake in the oven for 30 minutes
- Uncover the veggies and cook for another 30 minutes.
- As the veggies are cooking uncovered, bring the water to a boil and add the rice and cook until tender.
- Once the veggies and rice are cooked, add the minced garlic, rice, and veggies while hot and mix well.
- Add the pinto beans and mix together.
- Salt to taste and serve.