This time of year, pumpkins are all the rage. On our porches, in our lattes, and smeared on our faces (seriously, you can make a homemade pumpkin mask for your skin.) But we’re over here wondering why everyone isn’t freaking out about apples?
Fall is prime apple season, with so many varieties ripe for the picking. In mid- to late-October, everything from granny smith, to pink lady, to Fuji apples are ready to be sliced, diced and baked into in your favorite breakfasts, soups and desserts. Honestly, we’re pretty convinced you could sneak an apple into just about any recipe and it would work. Case in point: the vegan apple recipes below.
If you’re planning to go apple picking this fall, the dishes below are a fantastic way to enjoy the fresh flavors of the season. Just be mindful of the type of apple you need. Although they all look somewhat similar, they can be really different in taste and texture.
Roasted Butternut Squash & Apple Soup
Author: Fettle Vegan
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
- 1 – 3 lb. butternut squash, peeled, de-seeded and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 small yellow onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 tart green apples (any apples work though), cored and chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Toasted pepitas, garnish (optional)
- Sprinkle of nutmeg, garnish (optional)
Click here to get the full recipe and instructions from Fettle Vegan.
Caramelized Sweet Potato Apple Hash Browns
Author: Paleo Running Momma
- 1 very large sweet potato, diced
- 1 large pink lady or granny smith apple, diced
- 2 Tbsp. + 2 tsp. coconut oil, separated
- ½ tsp. fine grain sea salt
- ¼-½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. organic coconut sugar
Click here to get the full recipe and instructions from Paleo Running Momma.
Apple Pie Chia Pudding
Author: Gourmet Getaways
For the chia pudding
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 granny smith apple, quartered
- 2 pitted dates
- 3 Tbsp. chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
For the topping
- 1 apple pie apple, sliced
- 1/3 cup granola
Click here to get the full recipe and instructions from Gourmet Getaways.
One Bowl Vegan Banana Apple Bread
Author: Vegan Richa
- 1¾ cup flour
- 2¼ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon or other spices of choice
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 3 to 4 Tbsp. powdered/fine sugar or sweetener
- ½ cup non dairy milk
- 2 large ripe bananas
- 1 Tbsp blackstrap molasses
- 2 Tbsp nut butter or use oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated apple
- A few Tbsp. walnuts, pecans, vegan chocolate chips, dried fruit, chopped dates or other additions
Click here to get the full recipe and instructions from Vegan Richa.
What are your favorite vegan apple recipes to make this time of year?